This Act requires certain Connecticut employers to “give preference” to employees who were laid-off related to COVID-19 when filling the same position if and when it becomes open. Those employees are to be re-called based on their seniority. Employers such as hotels, lodging houses, food service contractors, and building services that have 15 or more Connecticut employees are now obligated immediately to provide this preference.
- Former employees laid-off due to lack of work stemming from COVID-19 or COVID-19 related state emergency orders – between March 2020 and May 2022
- Former employees include those that could qualify for the open position after receiving the same training offered to a new-hire
- Employees terminated for cause during this time period are not eligible
- Notify former eligible employees of the open position
- Utilize seniority when recalling former eligible employees
- Give former eligible employees up to five (5) days to accept or reject the offer to be rehired
- Include new-hire training in the criteria when deciding to recall a former employee
- Not retaliate, refuse to hire, refuse to offer the same compensation the position paid prior to the lay-off, or take an adverse action toward an eligible employee
Employers should immediately train management and Talent Acquisition professionals on this new Act and implement policy changes immediately.